Back from New Designers

Well, made it back on one piece (although a very tired piece) from New Designers, and had a great time and good response to my work! I have a few leads to follow up and I met some very nice people through the week. The exciting news is that I have been selected to be in the Graduate Showcase at the Festival of Quilts at the NEC from 20th - 23rd August. You can find out more about the exhibition on the Twisted Thread Website http://www.twistedthread.com/

Extremely excited about this and also very nervous about hanging up my work without the support of tutors and friends for the first time.

There was some really amazing work at New Designers, although I felt a bit overwhelmed by all the digitally printed papers and fabrics. Personally I find the majority of it lacks any real depth and I find it hard to get excited by the pattern. Although I have pattern in my work, I don't like to make pattern for the sake of it and much prefer screen printing by hand. The small errors and marks that are made when printing by hand, give it more personality and has an attachment to me as the maker or designer.

Our college stand (Bradford) looked great and stood out (perhaps partly due to their being very little digital work) and we had really positive comments from other colleges and the public. Its interesting that as students we often felt that we were missing out by not having a digital printer and a laser cutter, but in hindsight I am glad that this method of producing work has not been part of my course, until this last year. I wonder what effect the introduction of digitial and laser technology will have on Bradford's future graduates and I hope that the college keeps its hands on approach to textiles alongside it. Anyway - I am getting very serious and must now go do some work on my entry for the Henry Foyle Competition. I will upload some images soon of the work I have been doing.

Comments

  1. Hi there friend. Big congratulations on your result today - well done lady, really proud of you.

    Agree about the Digital printing at New Designers, there was a lot of it and for me I felt it was a bit "overdone" and very busy - almost as if "every" design should go onto the one surface pattern. having said that there was a lot of wonderful work there. I dont feel that our college has missed out at all, and hopefully it wont be over used now we actually have the facilities but rather combine with our more hands on approach. I really liked the Glasglow School of Art - they are always good. but well done to our Level 3, for putting on a good show.

    Wonderful news about the Festival of Quilts. Keep up the good work!!
    CAx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment