Cabinets of Curiosity at the Manchester Museum

Continuing my research work for my MA, alongside my own growing collection of objects, I have been visiting various museums and archives. Last week I spent most of the day at Manchester Musuem, looking at their collection of stuffed animals. It is slightly strange being surrounded by such a large amount of real animals that aren't actually alive anymore, and I found my eyes playing tricks on me, seeing movements out of the corner of my eyes.
Some of the animal are most peculiar, but it is this odd and spooky quality that attracts me to them..
Here are a few of my sketches from the day...


Comments

  1. love your sketches Fiona. Leeds Museum also has a lovely collection of dead animals! and a mummy ! but looks like you have lots of good research there anyway. Keep up the grand collections and enjoying yourself.xx CarolAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your sketches and your blog!
    Our Museum in Dundee is re-opening after being closed for 3 years for re-furbishment - I hope to visit it next week.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment