Pricing for Creatives

So last week I did a talk, on pricing of all things!  Me who really is no big fan of working with numbers - which is actually the main reason I decided to deliver a talk on numbers for creatives.



When I was asked if I had any ideas for a talk as part of the Factory Programme with the Staffordshire Chamber of Commerce, I started to think about what I would have liked to have known more about when I first graduated and started trying to sell my work.

I graduated 10 years ago, and now there is a tonne of information on the internet to help with getting your pricing right - just google it and you will find some good articles on it.  But I do think it is good to have a real person in front of you who has gone through the stuff you're trying to work out and hopefully motivate you to deal with the elements of your business that you find difficult.

It was no surprise to me when I asked the room of attendees to my talk - "who likes maths?" - that no one put their hand up.  Most of us creatives want to make and not worry about numbers, but I wanted people to leave my talk feeling more confident about the numbers in their business.

So here are a few things you need to know about pricing your products to sell.

You don't have to be a mathematical superstar to get good at it
You do need to do it though
Gather all your receipts and bills up first - makes it easier to find the info you need
Make some time and give it priority.
Sorry, but you can't do it with a magic wand either

I got some lovely feedback from the audience, and everyone was still awake and no one left early... and weirdly I enjoyed talking about the maths!

If you'd like to work on your creative business and are looking for some mentoring then I have some places available this year.  Get in touch and we can have a chat.

Comments