How I created my first video demo...

I have been thinking about and researching around how to video and create online demos for years, and for some reason kept putting it off.  Usually I pretty much throw myself into things, but to be honest it was the technology and editing of it all that had stopped me from getting on with it.  Plus I had made it into this huge task in my head.

So how did I get over it? And how did I end up looking this excited about it?



Here are my top three tips

1.  Get some help - once I stopped trying to figure it all out on my own and finding out places where I could get the information and help I needed it all became a lot easier. I signed up to an online course that taught me how to film and edit just using my iPhone and a tripod. I was lucky to happen across Xanthe Berkeley - who was running a short weeks course that set homework everyday.  I loved it - it was really easy to grasp and focused on making short videos to get into the swing of it - I highly recommend Xanthe's course. 

2. Keep it simple and short - you really don't need anything fancy to do the video - a tripod, a smart phone, and maybe some lighting and a microphone once you get into videoing.  I didn't use a microphone or lighting for the very first film I created as I just wanted to get started and not find an excuse not to begin.  You can see my set up below - I was really lucky that a friend was getting rid of these lights, but there are so many to choose from now and not too expensive either.  It also helps to keep the first video short as this was a much less daunting task and the bonus was it didn't take very long to edit.


3.  Plan and Practice - it definitely helps to plan out the demo, write a plan, gather all your resources together and have a few practice runs.  I broke my video down into sections so each chunk was a separate film that I then edited together.



So now I have created not only a few short videos showing some behind the scenes of my studio, I have just completed my first demo video ever! and I really enjoyed making it too.

I will be sharing this in my newsletter - Print Peeps -  next week - so if you want to see this freebie, then go sign up to Print Peeps now.


Comments