Print Peeps Interview with Laura Mellor - Illustrator

I'm so pleased that Laura agreed to be interviewed for my Blog, she's such a kind and lovely positive person - you are going to love her illustrations and she's launching a new business soon - so go give her a follow on her social media accounts so you can be the first to hear about it.



1. Tell us a bit about your business

I’m an illustrator, I work on various projects from visual branding, to personalised wedding and family portraits. I also make and sell prints online through Etsy and more recently my own website.

 

I started my business after graduating from my BA Illustration course six years ago. Prior to that, I owned an independent gift and stationery shop on my local high street for ten years.

 

I worked really hard at university and was determined to make use of my illustration degree. I knew I had to work creatively and expressively, and I love finding new and enterprising ways to make a career through illustration.



2. What is your typical work day like and where do you do your design work?


I’ve always been an early riser; I wake up at 6am every day for a quiet cup of tea while I watch the news and pull myself together. After dropping my daughter off at school I try to get out for a walk, I’m the world’s worst procrastinator so getting a walk in first thing really helps me to feel more focused when I finally sit down at my desk, usually by 10am and with another cup of tea!

 

I work from home, in a downstairs office with doors out onto the garden, which sounds idyllic, but I’m not green fingered at all, so a lot of my working day is spent thinking about how I should be mowing the lawn! 

 

I usually pack up orders ready to post out first thing, and then spend a little time catching up on emails and messages, saving the more fun design work until the afternoon. 





 3. How do you create your designs and illustrations - do you have a favourite tool? 


Up until recently, my illustrations have mostly been based on people; hand drawn, and then cleaned up and coloured digitally. I worked really hard to develop a distinctive style and the portraits have been popular over the years, though having a strong style can sometimes feel quite restrictive creatively. 

 

Last year, I started to produce some type-based prints, inspired by the music I love and personal sentiments. Diverting from my well-honed illustrative style was nerve-wracking but the ‘Let’s get drunk and twirl like Stevie Nicks’ has been my best-selling print to date. 

 

Recently I got the keys to my new studio space where I’m looking forward to experimenting even more with different techniques and processes, including screen printing…watch this space!



 4. What’s the best thing about being a creative business owner?


Freedom! The ability to make my own decisions and the chance to experiment is the absolute best thing about being a creative business owner. 

 

I also love it when people tag me in their Instagram posts showing my prints on their wall!

 

5. What’s the best piece of business advice you’ve been given?


‘Do what makes you happy’… words I try to work and live by.


6. What advice would you give other creative business starting out?


Don’t be afraid to seize every opportunity; make your own luck and have fun doing it. If you love what you do, it will show through in your work and people will always buy into that. 

 

Also, don’t work for free, even when you’re just starting out. When I first left university I fell into the trap of doing a lot of ‘portfolio building’ work for really cheap (or free), but it did nothing to help my ‘Imposter Syndrome’.  I would say start as you mean to go on, you’re running a business, your time and ideas are really valuable! 




 7. Do you have any exciting plans for your business in the future?


Yes! There’s so much going on at the moment with the new studio, so there will be lots of exciting new work on offer soon.

 

Also, (and I’m super excited about this!) I’ve been working really hard on a new online lifestyle store – Kiin, launching next month and just in time for Christmas. Combining my background in retail with my passion for sourcing beautifully designed products, I will be working with illustrators, artist and makers to offer a handpicked selection of prints, homewares, gifts and lots of other lovely things.




 8. Where can people find out more about you?


You can find me on Instagram, 

https://www.instagram.com/lauramellorillustration/

https://www.instagram.com/kiinlifestyle/

 

Or, visit my sites, 

https://lauramellor.co.uk

www.kiinlifestyle.co.uk

Comments