Creative Business Interview - Jo Ruth - Painter, Printmaker and Designer

The lovely Jo Ruth has agreed to be my next Print Peeps interview - I love Jo's use of stencils within her work, they give a feel of screen printing without the screens - genius!  She has some very helpful and insightful thoughts on running a creative business too.


Tell us a bit about your business - what do you do?  

I’m Jo Ruth and I am a painter, printmaker and designer.

 

I take my inspiration from birds and the natural world and all my imagery is based around this. I create stencilled images on painted backgrounds and more recently I have been enjoying repurposing the paper remnants from my stencilling technique to create bird themed paper garlands.




I trained in Fine Art many years ago and came away from my degree having learnt a lot about painting but knowing that I wasn’t destined to be a fine artist.  I have what I would describe as a designer/makers brain; I’m a planner and a problem solver and I love making things.  I worked in advertising for a short while before training to be a teacher. It was here that I felt I had found my niche. 

  

Teaching Art, Graphics and Textile Design to 16-19yr olds taught me to be versatile and flexible in my approach.  What can be more stimulating than working on a project with a group of young people all bringing their own take to a creative problem?  It’s a great way to keep learning and to be kept on your toes!  During this time I continued to expand my own skills and developed a passion for screen-printing, surface pattern, illustration and graphic design.



 

I find it very difficult to put myself in a creative box because I have always been curious to try all sorts of things. I enjoy exploring new creative avenues and end up wandering along other paths that take my fancy.  It’s a wonderful way to experience creative activities but it doesn’t make for a clear creative brand!

 

I started exhibiting my own work about 15 years ago having developed my stencilling technique and gradually reduced my teaching hours.  I now work from my studio at  home stencilling, working with paper and taking graphic design commissions. 




What is your typical work day like? 


One of the joys of working for yourself is that there is no such thing as a typical work day.  If I’m creating I can disappear into the studio and lose myself for hours, sometimes days… but that’s a luxury.  Inevitably something mundane brings me back to earth with bump. As with all creative people, it’s the painting, printing, making and experimenting days that make me really happy. But I’ve learnt to be quite disciplined and set aside time for all the administration and marketing side of running a business too.  If I have an exhibition or a show coming up my planning brain takes over.  There’s nothing like a deadline to focus my thoughts! 






How do you market your business and what works best for you?  


There are so many wonderful ways to market your business these days it’s difficult to know which to choose.  My main marketing tool is Instagram and to a lesser extent Facebook.  
However, I really enjoy the face-to-face contact with people at shows.  I am very aware that people like to meet the maker.  I have always tried to encourage people to sign up for my newsletters at these events.  Direct mailing is a great way to keep in touch with people and to build a solid client base. 


If you were starting your business again is there anything you would have done differently?


I really loved my time as a teacher, it wasn’t just a means to an end. It gave me financial security whilst giving me opportunities to learn and be amongst like-minded creatives.  As my own creative work took off, it was quite a challenge to balance my various commitments but it also gave me the time to develop my own business slowly without too much financial risk.


 

If I’d been more entrepreneurial when I was younger I may have leapt into starting my own business sooner. I would have taken the time to really plan the way I wanted my business to develop, to think about the financial and administrative aspects of running a creative business.  One of the hardest aspects of selling your own work is getting the pricing realistic.  It’s the thing that most artists and makers struggle with. If you believe in your idea, don’t be put off! There’s lots of advice out there and it’s well worth taking the time to consider the wider aspects of starting a business as you take the leap.  


What’s the best thing about being a creative business owner?

 

I’m doing what I love!  I can plan my own days and I’m only answerable to me  - and that’s very rewarding.  When things go well you can build on them immediately, when things don’t go so well you can take stock and react quickly.








What’s the toughest thing about being a creative business owner?


You have to be a good at spinning plates and at times the business of management can far outweigh the business of making! This can be quite disheartening.  I doubt that there is a creative business owner out there who hasn’t a some point thought ‘I just need more time to make things!” 



What’s the best piece of business advice you’ve been given?


Believe in your creative ideas, keep going through the natural ups and downs of running a business. Sometimes the best lessons are learnt from mistakes or setbacks and they only serve to make me more determined.  They also make the good times seem even better!



What advice would you give other creative business starting out?


I am a great believer that many hands make light work.  Working in isolation is hard so it’s a great idea to team up and collaborate.  When I relocated to York from Birmingham a few years ago I was concerned that I would have to spend a great deal of time rebuilding contacts.  I applied for a few events and joined York Printmakers.  I soon found some like-minded souls.   It wasn’t long before I had learnt a great deal about the creative opportunities in this area. Joining groups and collaborating or exhibiting with others is a great way to build a support system and to enable you to reach a wider audience.  It’s also stimulating to work with other like-minded people.  It’s a great way to keep up to date, to share information and to keep ideas fresh. 



Do you have any exciting plans for your business in the future?


With the cancellation of many of my usual events this past year I’ve been taking some time to develop my stencilling technique and extend my imagery. So there’s lots of new work ready for this year’s exhibitions.  I’ve done a few on-line workshops this year and they’ve sparked lots of new ideas for the paper cutting aspects of my work.



Where can people find out more about you?  

 

You’ll find current work and ideas on Instagram  and Facebook   

 

My website tells you more about me and how I tick.  There’s also lots more work there too

 www.joruth.com

 

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we will be able to start going to exhibitions and events again soon - won’t that be wonderful?  Come and say hello if you get to any of these.

 

Upcoming events

May 8th – June 8th

Imprints Exhibition with York Printmakers at the Inspired By…Gallery, Danby in the North York Moors National Park

https://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/visiting/see-and-do/inspired-by-gallery

 

July 10th/11th and 17th/18th

York Open Studios  

www.yorkopenstudios.com

 

September 2021

York Printmakers Print Fair

Comments