Creative Business Interview - Judy Andrews - Graphic Designer and Creative Director of Tickety Boo Creative

I first came across Judy on Instagram, and I was drawn to her bold use of colour and type - we share a love of riso and being optimists, so when she agreed to be interviewed for the blog I was super happy!  Read more about her and her new magazine The Joy of Type which is coming soon...


Tell us a bit about your business – what do you do?  

I actually have two creative businesses, my personal art and also my design agency, Tickety Boo Creative. My background is in graphic design and I’ve been in the commercial industry for 20 years. I describe myself as a designer and optimist and it’s my aim to inspire and empower others through creativity. My work is typographic, bold, with bucket loads of colour. My prints are mainly Risograph and it’s my dream one day to own my own Risograph machine.




I originally started my art business in 2015, just before the birth of my son. I worked as a Creative Director at a design agency and wanted a creative outlet while on maternity leave. And so glad I did, while on maternity leave I discovered a love of hand drawn typography. And now my work is a mix of hand lettering and my own geometric type.

 

I then set up my design agency in 2018 after I wanted more flexibility as I had my little boy. As an agency being flexible is something we really embrace; we were all remote working before everyone else was.

 

I now spend my time between both businesses which I love as each one helps to inspire the other.




What is your typical work day like?

What I love is that no two days are the same, especially at the moment as I’m kind of on maternity leave after the birth of my little girl.

 

I usually start the day checking my emails as I have overseas clients with my design business. I’ll also check social media. I try to post once a day and at the moment it’s not planned but I’d like this to be more structured. During the day I fit my work in around naps and I usually catch up with my design agency team in the afternoon. I’m very lucky to have support from my husband, he always takes care of our little girl when I’m in meetings and he also packs up and posts all my orders for me.




Then work starts for me once my two little ones are in bed around 7.30 and I’ll try and do a couple of hours. My day finishes with writing in my journal, this helps me process the day and when most of my ideas happen.

 

What’s your favourite thing to create and why?  Where do you get your inspiration from?

Oh, this is a hard one, I love all my typographic prints, a couple of years ago I did a 365 days of type challenge and it really pushed my creativity. The final design I created for the challenge was ‘Creativity is a way of life’ and I now think it’s my favourite design. I love how it resonates with so many people. It’s my best selling T-Shirt design.




I get inspiration from everywhere, I never switch off. I’m always taking photos of things I’ve seen, keeping articles I’ve read, writing down quotes and words. I go to car boot sales and charity shops. I’m a big fan of magazines, commercial and independent. I also love going to art galleries, my favourite is the V&A – it’s such an incredible place.

 

If you were starting your business again is there anything you would have done differently?

Yes definitely, when I started my business I didn’t have an aim or vision I just knew I wanted to create, so my product range and designs were not coherent. Last year I rebranded with a clear vision. I went from a very long named business ‘A Spoonful of Sugar & Co UK’ to my name ‘Judy Andrews’. I’m now much more focussed as an artist and feel more confident.





What’s the best thing about being a creative business owner?

That’s simple – being in control of my time. This is really important for me as both a creative person and a mum.

 

What’s the toughest thing about being a creative business owner?

Comparing myself to others, I do this too much especially on social media. I know I need to focus more on what I’m doing.

 




What’s the best piece of business advice you’ve been given?

That business is all about, people, product, profit, in that order.

 

What advice would you give other creative businesses starting out?

Work out your focus/vision from the start, it will save you time and energy in the long run, and help give you confidence.





Do you have any exciting plans for your business in the future?

I have many plans, I’m currently working on a magazine ‘Joy of type’ which is a new magazine blending art, type and positivity. Sharing the work and stories of the creators with the hope of bringing joy to everyone.

 

I’m also looking to move soon so I can have a dedicated print studio where I can do my own screen printing and have space for a Risograph machine. This will allow me to be able to experiment more with my designs.




Where can people find out more about you? 

For my art you can find me at judyandrews.co.uk /  @judy_andrews_

My design agency is ticketyboocreative.co.uk / @weareticketyboo

And my latest venture, joyoftype.com /  @joyoftype




Comments