Creative Business Interview - Alix Web of Minii and Maxii

 Its always a treat to see my graduates flourish - and this months interview is with one of my past students from the course I teach at Staffordshire University - Alix has been busy building up her business which she started during lock down.  She creates really lovely prints for kids interiors which I think you will adore and Alix is an all round super women -juggling being a mum and running a business - and she's always happy to help others.

Read on to find out more......

Tell us a bit about your business - what do you do?  

Minii & Maxii is an online retailer that creates little works of Art for little people, run by me, serial instagrammer, interior obsessed, mama of one, Alix. 

So Minii & Maxii was born the week the pandemic hit in 2020. I had quit my full time Print Design role for a High Street retailer the year before, and was freelancing quite happily, doing some guest lecturing, and doing my own thing when BAM, lockdown happened and the world stood still. I was 13 weeks pregnant and lost all my income. I had always planned in the back of my mind to do something like Minii & Maxii, but it never came to fruition until I was forced to sink or swim. And I am still swimming! I think I lost confidence with my designs working in industry, and put off starting my own brand for a long time! 

I started on Instagram with 10 designs, and slowly built up more and more designs. During lockdowns I drew, and it became my escapism. I grew Minii & Maxii into a wonderful brand of likeminded mamas who love design, love to connect and support my small business. I grew to over 10,000 followers in the first year, I’ve sold nearly 10,000 pieces of art to homes all over the world, I’ve been featured in The World of Interiors, Home and Garden magazine,  I’ve got my own website now, Etsy and Not on the High Street stores and just about to land on my dreamiest stockist ever…Scandiborn. It feels insane and surreal writing that all down! 



 

What is your typical work day like and where do you do your design work? 


Well… here’s a bit of background. I started Minii & Maxii when I was 13 weeks pregnant, my business peaked the day I gave birth to Archie, and continued to grow authentically (because I have the best customers ever!), from that day onwards. I went back to work when my son was 6 days old and continued to work around him at home. I quickly learnt that it was not manageable so decided to get myself a studio away from home, where I could go to ‘work’. Completely underestimating what kind of mother I’d be ha! I imagined I would go to my studio 3 days a week whilst Archie was in nursery, but that’s not the case. I absolutely don’t want to be apart from my son anytime soon, SO…(here is the answer to your question!)… The typical day looks like being a mama. Running my social media around my son, creating content in nap time. Answering emails while he sleeps. Writing wonderful ideas for products in my notebook. Connecting with my lovely customers. I have 2 mornings in the studio at the moment, creating new designs, marketing content, updating my websites and shops. Those 2 mornings are quite enough for me, and I am learning to manage my own expectations of not shattering glass ceilings at the moment, as my priorities have changed a little! I’m very lucky my sister manages all my orders so I am able to focus on the creative side of the business, as my time is super limited. 




 

How do you create your designs and illustrations - do you have a favourite tool?  


All my designs are hand drawn straight on the Wacom in Photoshop, using the brush tool. I             absolutely love designing this way. The freedom of working in layers means I can perfect shapes 

and textures easily, whilst maintaining the hand drawn look my brand is known for. My favourite tool has to be the brush tool with all the different textures. If you look super close at my illustrations, you can see the level of detail and character each animal has!




 What’s the best thing about being a creative business owner?


So so many things! Having worked in industry, I’d definitely say the biggest benefit for me having my    

own business right now is flexibility, especially having a baby. Being your own boss is empowering, 

setting your own targets, working week and priorities has been so beneficial to my mental health. 

For creative people like me, having your own creative direction and vision for where you see your 

business and designs going is the ultimate win! (not being bound by margins!)




 

What’s the best piece of business advice you’ve been given?


I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS come back to this. It may sound of context, as one of my best friends 

is in property, but she said to me ‘While I am worrying about what plumber to use, I’ve focused my 

attentions away from my next million dollar idea’. What her advice was, was not to sweat the small stuff. While she was worrying about tradesmen fitting a loo, she could have missed out on her next property that would be lifechanging. From then on I learnt to delegate smaller jobs out to people that wanted to help my business grow. It’s super hard when your business is your baby (like mine!), but allowing myself to free up time to focus on areas that would see growth, development and creativeness was far more important than packing envelopes. The time I get in the studio now is purely creative and focussed on the next big thing!




 

What advice would you give other creative business starting out?


Do it because you love it, not to make money. Yes you’re starting a business to make money, BUT if that is at the forefront of every communication, post and product you just wont connect with your target audience. 

Be authentic, be YOU. You are your unique selling point. You’re wonderful and creative and your set of skills are unique to YOU. Be your own cheerleader and sing from the rooftops. Create a brand that embodies YOU, let the world see you and your art! 

Rome wasn’t built in a day. As deflating as it is, things take time. There will be weeks without sales (we’ve all been there!). Don’t quit on a bad day. Just keep consistent and you will create a community that loves your creations as much as you do. 




Do you have any exciting plans for your business in the future


So many plans! I’m super excited to have announced last month I am a new stockist for Scandiborn, which is just an incredible milestone for Minii & Maxii. I’ve got so many new collections and products that I am working on, and would love to work on, BUT Rome wasn’t built in a day, and my son wont stay tiny for long. So those things will come when they will come. 

 

A very exciting thing is happening with my studio though! I’ve got such a creative space, which is only being used 2 mornings a week, SO, I’m about to launch a really exciting new venture call Sisu Studio, where local creative businesses can come, network, co-work, hire the space for workshops, courses and meetings and use our equipment. Super exciting! 




 

Where can people find out more about you?  


I am a serial instagrammer! You can join our community of mamas @miniiandmaxii, where you’ll discover gorgeous children’s interiors, art and general mama chat. You can shop our little works of Art at www.miniiandmaxii.com and on Etsy and Not on the Highstreet (and soon Scandiborn!). 

 

If you’re Nottingham based and would love to join the Sisu community of small business creatives then follow @sisustudionotts for updates coming soon. 

 

 

Comments