Creative Business Interview - Melissa from Western Sketch

This month - the very lovely Melissa from Western Sketch agreed to do the Creative Business Interview - she creates beautifully illustrated cards and has recently created a range for Harvey Nichols!  Read on to find out more about her and her fabulous products.

Tell us a bit about your business - what do you do?  

Hello!  Thank you so much for asking me to share a little about my business.  I’m Melissa and I run my small business Western Sketch from my family home. I'm a small greeting card publisher, producing luxury cards from my hand-painted illustrations.  I have a creative background and graduated in illustration 20 years ago now!  My career background was in Buying where I worked for 12 years before having a family.  Western Sketch has allowed me to combine both my creative passion with my business skills.  It hadn’t occurred to me to set up my business until 4 years ago after having Children, I started drawing again and it's really gone from there.




What is your typical work day like and where do you do your design work?

I don’t really have a typical work day I have 3 small children so I don’t tend to start working until in the evening when they are in bed although I can do bits throughout the day whilst looking after my son who’s now 2.   I’m building a foundation so in a few more years I’ll be able to focus on this full time in more sociable hours! At the moment I’m busy working on lots of new designs.

How do you create your designs and illustrations - do you have a favourite tool?  I create my illustrations in a traditional way using watercolour paints. I treat the paintbrush as my pencil and draw with the paint.   I enjoy turning everyday objects and foods into characters and love painting animals. My designs always come from an idea and I often use word play which translates well into greeting cards to make people smile.  I try and keep everything very original.



What’s the best thing about being a creative business owner?

The best thing about being a creative business owner is doing something I love.  I find it fulfilling and very rewarding and can work flexibly whilst raising a family.

What’s the best piece of business advice you’ve been given?

After years of working in the retail industry, I had it drilled into me that the customer is always right!  Which is 100% true! I think that’s the main piece of business advice that has always remained with me and still applies now!  And don't be afraid to ask questions!  If you don’t understand something just ask.  I’m always asking but it's how you learn!




What advice would you give other creative businesses starting out?

My advice to anyone thinking to start their own creative business is firstly go for it!   Just go at your own pace and do something you enjoy, if that is your passion and you won’t be able to think of anything else!  People often say to me ‘I don’t know how you have the time?!’  But if it's your passion you somehow make the time, it becomes something I look forward to working on every day and the sense of achievement is very rewarding.

Do you have any exciting plans for your business in the future? 

Yes I hope to launch my wrapping paper very soon!  I’m so excited to add another product area to compliment my cards! Alongside this, I'm also really focused on the wholesale side at the moment.  In September I launched my cards to wholesale at a trade show called Top-drawer and through this, I’ve been working on some exclusive designs for Harvey Nichols food halls which has been such a fun opportunity.  Easter cards are now in their stores and I have just finished the Christmas designs off!

Where can people find out more about you

 Follow me on instagram @westernsketch  www.instagram.com/westernsketch

Shop my cards on Etsy www.etsy.com/shop/westernsketch

Visit my website www.westernsketch.co.uk

Comments